The strategic objectives that guide the activity of the RoAid Agency, as well as the national development cooperation policy, are established in the strategic multi-annual plan, elaborated by the Romanian MFA in consultations with the Advisory Committee. This programme includes the thematic and geographic priorities for Romania's development cooperation.
In the period 2018-2021, Romania's development cooperation focuses on the following regions:
- Wider Black Sea area
- Western Balkans
- North Africa and the Middle East
- Sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia
- the Caribbeans
- developing countries in the Southern Pacific
Development cooperation activities can also be implemented outside the priorities regions (e.g. scholarships).
Priority countries are selected based on the following criteria:
- The needs identified in the country and the relevance of Romania's transition experience for the country;
- Political, diplomatic cooperation;
- Economic and trade cooperation;
- Cultural and historic relations;
- Fragility and security risks.
The main sectors for development assistance in the period 2018-2021 are:
- Democratic governance and inclusive societies;
Peace and security;
Sustainable economic development;